⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard_name needed for cloud_phase (an enumeration type) - GOES-R

From: Carlomusto, Michael <mcarlomu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 15:44:35 +0000

On 7 July 2015 - Reply by Mike Carlomusto:

Alison,
I agree with your assessment - the proposed standard name "cloud_phase_category" and the existing standard name thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top are redundant.

Your proposed addition of three values - clear_sky, super_cooled_liquid_water and unknown - to thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top is an excellent solution and acceptable for the GOES-R Cloud Top Phase product.
Mike

On 3 July 2015 Alison Pamment wrote:

> Thread "new standard_name needed for cloud_phase (an enumeration

> type)"

> (http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2013/056424.html)

> Current status: Under discussion.

> cloud_phase_category (canonical units: 1) 'Cloud phase category is a

> string, taking one of the following standardised values: clear_sky,

> liquid_water, super_cooled_liquid_water, mixed_phase, ice, unknown.

> For a data variable it is encoded as an integer using flag_values and flag_meanings.'

> This name received some brief discussion on the mailing list and was

> agreed at the time. However, I was looking through existing names

> whose definitions also refer to flag_values and flag_meanings because

> I wanted to check that the wording of the proposed definition is

> broadly consistent. In doing so I came across the name

> thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top, introduced

> into the standard name table at Version 24 (June 2013), for use with

> Meteosat Second Generation (MSG) data. The existing name is defined as

> follows:

> ' "cloud_top" refers to the top of the highest cloud. "Water" means

> water in all phases. A variable with the standard name of

> thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top contains

> integers which can be translated to strings using flag_values and

> flag_meanings attributes. Alternatively, the data variable may contain

> strings which indicate the thermodynamic phase. These strings are

> standardised. Values must be chosen from the following list: liquid;

> ice; mixed.'

> Although the list of standardised values is not the same as proposed

> for GOES-R, I think the existing name is basically the same quantity

> as the one requested. My suggestion is that, instead of adding the new

> name, we expand the definition of the existing name to allow for all

> the strings needed for both MSG and GOES-R data, as follows:

> ' "cloud_top" refers to the top of the highest cloud. "Water" means

> water in all phases. A variable with the standard name of

> thermodynamic_phase_of_cloud_water_particles_at_cloud_top contains

> integers which can be translated to strings using flag_values and

> flag_meanings attributes. Alternatively, the data variable may contain

> strings which indicate the thermodynamic phase. These strings are

> standardised. Values must be chosen from the following list: liquid;

> ice; mixed; clear_sky; super_cooled_liquid_water; unknown.'

> The standardised strings for liquid_water and mixed_phase would be

> slightly different from those agreed in the discussion of the current

> proposal, but if the names are to be combined I think we would need to

> stick with the earlier strings so as not to invalidate existing MSG data.

> Expanding the list of standardised strings would not affect existing

> data as I don't think there is any requirement to use all possible

> values of flag_values and flag_meanings within a particular data

> [...]

Michael Carlomusto
mcarlomu at harris.com<mailto:mcarlomu at harris.com>
Harris Corp.
Government Communications Systems Division (GCSD), GOES-R Ground System
Melbourne, FL, USA
(321) 309-7905