⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name request for FAPAR

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 15:28:06 +0000

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your proposal which has now been added to the list of standard names under discussion: http://cfeditor.ceda.ac.uk/proposals/1?status=active&namefilter=&proposerfilter=Claverie&descfilter=&unitfilter=&yearfilter=&filter+and+display=Filter.

fraction_of_absorbed_photosynthetically_active_radiation (canonical units 1)

I agree with Jonathan that fraction_of_surface_downwelling_photosynthetic_radiative_flux_absorbed_by_vegetation would be consistent with existing names.

Based on the definition you have provided and those of other "photosynthetic" names, the full definition of this name would currently read:
'The fraction of incoming solar radiation in the photosynthetically active radiation spectral region that is absorbed by a vegetation canopy. "Photosynthetic" radiation is the part of the spectrum which is used in photosynthesis e.g. 300-700 nm. The range of wavelengths could be specified precisely by the bounds of a coordinate of "radiation_wavelength".'

The definition text does allow for some variation of the precise wavelengths involved, so I think you would probably be OK to use the suggested name and accompany your data variable with a radiation_wavelength coordinate variable and bounds appropriate to your particular case.

Best wishes,
Alison