⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name request for FAPAR

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 18:30:42 +0100

Dear Martin

> I am proposing the following standard name for Fraction of Absorbed
> Photosynthetically Active Radiation (FAPAR), which is a GCOS Essential
> Climate Variable (ECV).
>
> standard name:
> fraction_of_absorbed_photosynthetically_active_radiation
>
> definition:
> The fraction of incoming solar radiation in the photosynthetically active
> radiation spectral region that is absorbed by a vegetation canopy.
>
> canonical units:
> 1

We have an existing standard name of
  surface_downwelling_photosynthetic_radiative_flux_in_air
and I assume your proposal means the fraction of this which is absorbed by
the vegetation. Is that right? If so, it would be better to add to this
existing name (without in_air, I think) to make the new one.