⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Ancillary variables in coordinate variables (latitude, longitude, ...)

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Wed, 06 May 2015 14:08:24 -0400

I'm in agreement with Jonathan!

On 5/6/15 1:09 PM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Kristian
>
>> In these case the feature type is a trajectory, so
>> the latitude and longitude are auxiliary coordinates.
>>
>> You said that for auxiliary coordinates it could be ok, Would this mean
>> that it could be added to the CF conventions?
> I don't think any change would be needed to the CF convention. CF allows a
> given netCDF variable to serve as both a data variable in its own right and
> an aux coord var of another data variable. An example of where this might be
> useful is for an ocean model on density levels, in which depth as a function
> of density is of interest as a data variable, but could also be an auxiliary
> coordinate variable for other data variables. Therefore I think it would be
> legal for your aux coord vars to have ancillary vars. Since the lat and lon
> along a trajectory are actually dependent data variables, this feels quite
> reasonable to me for your case. I wonder what others think.
>
> Cheers
>
> Jonathan
>
>> On 5 May 2015 at 18:58, Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Kristian
>>>
>>> Ancillary variables are only for data variables in the current convention.
>>> It wouldn't be illegal to use the attribute on coord variables, but CF
>>> doesn't define what that would mean. (CF always permits any
>>> non-standardised
>>> attributes.)
>>>
>>> I wonder whether these are 1D coord variables (in the Unidata sense) or
>>> aux coord vars (named by the coordinates attribute)? In the latter case, it
>>> could be OK, because other data variables could be named as aux coord vars.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>

>>> ----- Forwarded message from Kristian Sebasti??n <ksebastian at socib.es>
>>> -----

>>> (latitude,

>>> dataset
>>> http://thredds.socib.es/thredds/dodsC/drifter/surface_drifter/drifter_svp052-ime_svp017/L1/2014/dep0001_drifter-svp052_ime-svp017_L1_2014-05-25.nc
>>> the

>> --
>>
>> Kristian Sebastian Blalid
>> SOS Division: Data Center Technical
>> Tel: 971439860 - Fax: 971439979
>> E-mail: kristian.sebastian at socib.es
>

> ----- End forwarded message -----

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/We will be updating our social media soon. Follow our current Facebook
(NOAA National Climatic Data Center
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter> and NOAA
National Oceanographic Data Center <https://www.facebook.com/noaa.nodc>)
and Twitter (_at_NOAANCDC <https://twitter.com/NOAANCDC> and @NOAAOceanData