⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 13:06:21 -0600

Julien,

I would say that you don't need to do anything. Your data is already in
GPS time.

Strictly speaking, you can't specify a different time referential,
because CF says to specify the time units following the recommendations
of udunits, and udunits assumes that all times are relative to UTC.

HOWEVER, udunits ignores leap seconds, and time under CF is represented
as a continuous count of constant-size units from some starting point.
Which I believe means that although both spec documents say "UTC", in
practice CF-netcdf is actually representing time as GPS/TAI time instead.

Moreover, as far as I can tell, practically all the software out there
that converts netcdf times to dates is unaware of leap seconds anyway,
and even if you wanted them you would have to do extra work to get them.

So I think if you set the units attribute as given in your example,
you'll be fine. If you want to be extra-careful, you could annotate the
time variable with a "note" attribute indicating that it's GPS time, not
UTC time, with no leap seconds.

There was a discussion on the mailing list about leap seconds last July:
http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2014/057556.html

Cheers,

--Seth