⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 15:27:57 -0400

Julien,

There is no unambiguous way to represent GPS time (or TAI time) in CF. This
needs to be addressed, but currently is not. For a nice article on the
variations between different time standards (UTC GPS TAI and Unix-C),
follow this link.

http://www.lsc-group.phys.uwm.edu/~ballen/grasp-distribution/GRASP/doc/html/node311.html

The article has a couple of problems (in particular, it doesn't properly
explain that TAI time is elapsed seconds since 1958-01-01 00:00:00 UTC),
but it can give you a good idea of what is going on. The big background
thing to keep in mind is that UTC really only exists as time stamps
(formatted date and time as, for example, YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.sss...). TAI
time, GPS time, and Unix-C time (if you don't use a time daemon such as
ntpd to keep bumping it) are all elapsed times since different epochs.

The first question to ask is, does it matter? Is your time precision tight
enough that you are concerned about a potentially constant 16 second shift
(depending on your range of times)? If not, no real problem.

If it does matter, there are a few different approaches.

You could store your times as "milliseconds since YYYY-MM-DD
HH:MM:SS", where the time stamp is a GPS time stamp, and include a comment
attribute that explains that the time stamp and the elapsed time are GPS
time.

You could store your times as "milliseconds since YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS",
where the time stamp is a GPS time stamp converted to a UTC time stamp, and
again provide a comment attribute that indicates what you have done.

You could store your times as "milliseconds since 1980-01-06 00:00:00.000"
and add a comment attribute that explains that this is elapsed GPS time.

What you get when you convert the elapsed times (back) to time stamps will
vary depending on which time handling module you use in your software.
Interestingly, using the *nix gmtime() function for the first and third
approaches should produce proper GPS time stamps because gmtime() doesn't
handle leap seconds.

Grace and peace,

Jim

[image: CICS-NC] <http://www.cicsnc.org/>Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc>*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
*formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center*
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org
o: +1 828 271 4900

*We will be updating our social media soon. Follow our current Facebook
(NOAA National Climatic Data Center
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter> and NOAA National
Oceanographic Data Center <https://www.facebook.com/noaa.nodc>) and Twitter
(_at_NOAANCDC <https://twitter.com/NOAANCDC> and @NOAAOceanData