⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to call dimension variables which are a function of an actual dimension?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 11:04:11 -0400

Andreas,

You treat this like any other coordinate variable, it just doesn't have
a standard_name attribute. You can specify what the quantity is in the
long_name attribute and add more detail in a comment attribute on the
variable.

The Guidelines for Construction of Standard Names
<http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-standard-names/docs/guidelines.html>
document describes how to derive a standard name that is the result of a
transformation such as the cosine, but it uses a controlled vocabulary.
If you wanted to add cosine_of_X you would have to request this and see
how the community feels about it.

Then there's the whole question (depending on what variables you have)
of which variables are data, which are coordinates, which are auxiliary
coordinates, and which are ancillary data. So much fun!

Grace and peace,

Jim