⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Conventions global attribute and the conventions playground

From: martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk <martin.juckes>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:08:11 +0000

Hello All,

I'm going through the draft NetCDF metadata convention for CMIP6, and would like to clean up the way the convention is declared in the NetCDF file. The way that Unidata advices users to do this is with an appropriate string in the "Conventions" global attribute, using a space or comma separated list if multiple conventions are involved. The problem I have is that we also, of course, want to use the CF Convention attribute. The CF specification for this attribute say that it should be "given the string value 'CF-1.6'", which appears to rule out the use of multiple conventions as envisioned by Unidata and CMIP.

Incidentally, the compliance documents for CF-1.7 and CF-1.6 both still insist that the attribute should be set to CF-1.5.

Could the relevant section of paragraph 1.3 in CF version 1.7 be modified to read 'the NUG defined attribute Conventions include the string value "CF-1.7" to identify datasets that conform to these conventions.If multiple conventions apply, these should be included as space or comma separated list as recommended by NUG.'?

regards,
Martin