⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Using a standard_name more than once in a file

From: Lynnes, Christopher S. <christopher.s.lynnes>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:40:23 +0000

Insofar as usability by software (and the scientists or developers who write it), the software should be locating a dependent variable's appropriate latitude variable by matching up the coordinate?s variable name with the dependent variable?s dimension name, in the case of 1-d lat/long. Alternatively, the developer should look in the dependent variable?s :coordinates attribute, esp. for auxilliary coordinates such as the ones we use for swath data. Also, latitude and longitude variables are supposed to be recognizable via their units attribute (e.g. ?degrees_north?).

So cf-savvy software should be OK whichever way you go. However, I think it?s good to use the standard_name for all of the latitudes in this case, if only to set a good example for the other variables in the file.