⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Using a standard_name more than once in a file

From: Manning, Evan M <Evan.M.Manning>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:33:49 +0000

I'm defining a data set, and I have a question about reusing standard_names in a file.

For example this a swath, so there a lat/lon/time for each observed spot. There is also a subsatellite lat/lon and mid-scan time. And in some cases I have separate lat/lon by MW band.

So, does every lat get standard_name set to latitude, or just the primary one?

On the one hand, I can see that users of each field could benefit from having
the standard_name set so that users of that field know what it is. But on the
other hand, if a user or program wants to come in and see what is "the" latitude,
maybe things work better if the standard_name latitude is only used once?

(Latitude is a key geolocation parameter. Does the answer to the above question
change if we're talking about something less foundational, like land_area_fraction
or sensor_view_angle?)

On a related topic, I see that adding standard_names platform_latitude, etc.
has been discussed but the discussion seems to be stalled. What are the prospects?

Thanks!

  -- Evan