⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for new standard-name: apparent_oxygen_utilization

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:11:33 +0000

Dear Ajay, Roy, All,

Thank you for the clarification regarding units.

We are now settled on
apparent_oxygen_utilization (mol kg-1).

We do already have a couple of ocean biogeochemistry names referring to "nitrate utilization" so I think this new name is in keeping with those.

Based on the definition provided by Ajay and John Graybeal's suggested wording, I have currently written the definition as:
"Apparent Oxygen Utilization (often abbreviated as AOU) is the difference between the saturation concentration of oxygen in sea water at a pressure of 1 atmosphere (101325 Pa) and the observed oxygen concentration. It is used to estimate the change in oxygen concentration due to biological and chemical processes. Reference: Broecker, W. S. and T. H. Peng (1982), Tracers in the Sea, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Palisades, N. Y." I have deliberately included "in sea water" in the first sentence of the definition to make it clear that this is an oceanographic quantity.

Does this all look OK? If so, then I think the name can be accepted for inclusion in the standard name table.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065