⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Request for new standard-name: apparent_oxygen_utilization

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 11:21:40 -0800

This discussion has been ongoing a while (though with few participants), and I think it is valuable to the ocean community to resolve it quickly if possible.

After a quick round of on-line reading (and absent any uptake on creating an alias), I vote for using apparent_oxygen_utilization.

The key sentence for me was in Encyclopedia of Earth content: 'This is a method of estimating the amount of dissolved oxygen utilized by marine organisms via respiration, although it is termed "apparent" for a reason.' (Which it then explains, and contrasts to True Oxygen Utilization.) The fact the term is universally known, taught, and used in the oceanography realm; does not seem to have any ambiguous uses in other domains; and fairly well captures the gist of the concept, says to me it's OK to use it. Even if it is functional rather than naming.

I'd tweak the definition slightly:

> AOU, Apparent Oxygen Utilization, is defined as the difference between the saturation oxygen concentration in water at 1 atmosphere, and the observed oxygen concentration (e.g., Broecker and Peng, 1982). It is a standard calculation made by oceanographers to estimate non-physical effects on oxygen, where non-physical means biological processes (uptake/release and chemical reaction).

If it turns out in the future this name causes trouble, we have a mechanism to fix it. But I think the domain-specific name will benefit CF more than hurt it.

John

John Graybeal
Marine Metadata Interoperability Project: http://marinemetadata.org
MMI Ontology Registry and Repository: http://mmisw.org/orr