⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New UDUnits units for information: "byte" and "octet"

From: Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 16:33:33 +0100

On 07-01-15 16:15, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Maarten
>
> A mole is also a udunit, so mol m-3 and m-3 are different units, and quantities
> with those canonical units also have to have different standard_names. The
> standard_name indicates whether the quantity refers to number concentration or
> molar concentration. I am not sure if I've understood you correctly.

No, I don't think you have.

1e15 molecules/cm2 NO2 is a valid column amount for NO2, but at the same
time I'm trying to convince my colleagues that this quantity should be
expressed in mol/m2 (specifically 16.6 micromol/m2 for said column
amount). These express the same quantity and should _not_ use different
standard names, not in the case of molecules. In the end the number
density should become extinct for molecular species, switching
completely to mol based units. Having different standard names will only
serve to hinder the transition.

Kind regards,

Maarten Sneep
--