⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] realization | x of n

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:52:00 +0000

Hello CF

The standard name
  realization
is available for use:
  Realization is used to label a dimension that can be thought of asa statistical sample, e.g., labelling members of a model ensemble.

It is common practice in forecasting and some forecasting formats to explicitly state the number of members an ensemble contained.

This would be generally be expected to be a single value across an ensemble collection. As such I am not sure that a standard name and a coordinate would be the most useful way to encode this piece of information.

Thus, we could look to provide a new data variable attribute, something like
  number_of_realizations
to store this metadata.

However it is not impossible for this to vary across some coherent data set so perhaps a standard_name of
  number_of_realizations
would be a sensible approach, even if in most cases this would be a scalar coordinate

Please may I ask for some opinions on this matter?

thank you
mark