⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] string valued coordinates

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:59:08 +0000

Hello CF

I understand that netCDF coordinate variables have to be strictly monotonic, and no-one wants to define what this means for the general case of strings; that is fine.

But I believe that I can create a CF auxiliary coordinate with string values without any concern.

I am interested in whether there are cases in the standard names table which explicitly state that a certain standard name should have string values?

How might this be stated?

Do we have a canonical unit of 'no_unit' available?

thank you
mark