⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Days of rain

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 13:52:48 +0000

Dear Dan,

I agree that setting a threshold depending on how the data were collected does not seem very satisfactory and it wouldn't allow you to combine readings from a variety of instruments into a single data product. The definition of 'greater|less than or equal to' is clearly not the same as 'greater|less than' so I would argue that they are different quantities and should have different standard names. Currently we have only nine 'threshold' names in the table and personally I don't think it's a big problem to add one more of the form
number_of_days_with_lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount_at_or_above_threshold. The definition would of course need to make clear the difference from the existing name and in fact the definitions should cross-reference one another to make users aware of both. Do others agree?

Regarding searching the mailing list archives, if I want to find a very specific phrase within the email text I download the plain text file for the appropriate year (available from the main archive page http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/) and use my browser's 'Find' function. It takes a few minutes to download but it can be a useful way of pinpointing the thing you're looking for.

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065