⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] searching CF-Metadata list

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 10:17:29 -0700

I too have often been frustrated with the on-line archive search capabilities. The suggestion below (search by yearly archive file) is useful only if the topic is discussed entirely within a year, and you know which year that was, and it was a year after 2005 (since years 2002-2005 show "Gzip'd Text 0 bytes").

A user who was desperate could download all the files, then import them into a local program (e.g., Mail on the Mac; what I did). That's a bit much to ask a casual user though, and there are those pesky missing years.

I wish we could implement one of these options:
* There are "packaged" solutions to work with Mailman, but some installation would be required.
  * SWISH: http://blog.anthonyrthompson.com/2010/07/listserv-to-mailman-setting-up-archive-search/
  * combination of mhonarc (http://www.mhonarc.org/) for browsing and htdig: (http://www.htdig.org/) for searching
* Figure out why Google isn't searching/indexing everything
* Find another external search engine that does

If this is a reasonable request I can add it to the TRAC issues list.

John