⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical dimension for subseafloor measurements

From: John Graybeal <john.graybeal>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 21:20:53 -0700

Hi Reyna,

Yes, this is in scope for CF.

There is a standard name height_above_sea_floor (no definition, canonical units meters) which has the meaning you need, if you use a negative number for the distance your data is below the sea floor.

If this is not ideal, possibly we could add depth_below_sea_floor (which is where *I* would look for such data) to the standard names list. So I sort of hope you ask for that new name. ;-)

I will take advantage of your query to propose a definition for height_above_sea_floor, to wit: "Height_above_sea_floor is the vertical distance above the surface of the seabed. Negative values indicate locations below the seabed."

John