⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] can a coordinate variable have a coordinate variable ?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:22:59 +0100

Dear Randy

I don't think a coordinate variable can have a coordinate variable - that is
not a mechanism which CF describes (although it's conceivable). Could you not
"flatten" it by regarding both the brightness temperature and the wavelength
as coordinates of the data variable, by phrasing the definition appropriately?

I don't know how to look at the CF standard name table at the moment so I can't
check the existing definitions, but I wonder whether we really need "threshold"
standard names. As far as I know, the only one is air_temperature_threshold,
yet we have some other standard names that refer to different thresholds. I
think it would be OK to say "there is a threshold brightness temperature" and
record this threshold in a coordinate variable with a standard name of
brightness_temperature - I think that would be clear enough.