⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] can a coordinate variable have a coordinate variable ?

From: rhorne at excaliburlabs.com <rhorne>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 11:21:16 -0400

Dear All:

 We (Gary Meehan and I) have been proposing some tropical cyclone related
standard names in recent weeks.

 For several of the quantities, their value is a function of a specific
threshold brightness temperature value at the top of atmosphere (i.e.
toa_brightness_temperature)

 In one of tropical cyclone standard name related proposals
(radius_of_tropical_cyclone_central_dense_overcast_region), we got feedback
from Jonathan advocating the use of a "threshold" coordinate variable
(i.e. air_temperature_threshold).

 The original definition inadvertently failed to mention that this is a
brightness temperature rather than an air temperature, so the standard name
" air_temperature_threshold" is not what is needed. We will need to propose
a standard_name like "toa_brightness_temperature_threshold".

 Given this, the variable with standard_name of
radius_of_tropical_cyclone_central_dense_overcast_region will have a
coordinate variable whose standard_name is
toa_brightness_temperature_threshold, and this coordinate variable will
need a coordinate variable capturing the wavelength/frequency of the
standard_name.

 The implication is that a coordinate variable has a coordinate variable.
Is this ok ?

 I have included Jonathan's email below as a reference below.

 very respectfully,

 randy

 +++++++++++

 Dear Gary In your new definition, the threshold is not stated, and I
agree that it better in principle. However it would be informative to
record the threshold used, I imagine. This could be done like this: > The
average radius of a central region of clouds in tropical > cyclones lacking
well-defined eye features > which is computed by averaging the great circle
distance in four > cardinal directions. The radius > in each direction is
measured from the estimated storm center > position to a warm point that
exceeds > a threshold temperature limit. The threshold applied should be
recorded in a coordinate variable having the standard_name of
air_temperature_threshold. It could be a scalar or a size-one coordinate
variable. Best wishes Jonathan