⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] climatological statistics

From: Natalia Tatarinova <tatarinova>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 15:22:43 +0200

  Hello,

I have a question concerning the "Climatological statistics".

According to the CF ("Climatological statistics" section in the CF
document), there are 2 ways to derive climatological statistics:

1. "Climatological statistics may be derived from corresponding portions
of the annual cycle in a set of years" (corresponding examples: 7.8,
7.9, 7.11 and 7.12).

2. "Climatological statistics may also be derived from corresponding
portions of a range of days, for instance the average temperature for
each hour of the average day in April 1997" (corresponding examples: 7.10).

There is also the example 7.13 (Monthly-maximum daily precipitation
totals) which doesn't correspond to these ways.
For me, to find max daily precipitation for each month is an usual
statistics, but not climatological. So, I think that the
"climatology_bounds" variable should be renamed to "time_bnds".
For example, in CMIP5 project monthly statistics derived from daily
variables have no "climatology_bounds" but "time_bnds" variable.

Could you enlighten me on this point, please?

Best regards,
Natalia

--
*Natalia Tatarinova*
CERFACS/Climate Modelling and Global Change