⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] HTAP2 last revisions

From: Markus Fiebig <Markus.Fiebig>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 14:17:37 +0000

Dear Brigitte,

thanks for your reply!

I would have some comments to your proposed definitions:

1) Definition of term "aerosol"
In the discussion on the standard names I'm working on (mainly between Jonathan
Gregory an me), this aspect has come up as well. There are 2 uses of the term
"aerosol": 1) according to the textbook definition (and here really "any"
textbook for aerosol science 101) meaning the system of aerosol particles and
carrier gas; 2) the non-textbook use of denoting the aerosol particles only by
the term "aerosol". I hate to say that the non-textbook use seems to be more
wide-spread in the air quality community as opposed to other scientific aerosol
communities I've worked with. Jonathan also pointed out that the use of
"aerosol" in existing CF-standard names is inconsistent, with both uses of
"aerosol" occurring (see attached e-mail). We agreed to go for the textbook use
of "aerosol" for all future definitions, and to try to clean up the older
standard names with aliases. This is mainly because CF standard names should be
as self-explaining as possible, which requires precise language use and avoiding
ambiguous language. I would therefore propose the following definitions:

  * "aerosol" means the system of suspended liquid or solid particles and their
    carrier gas air (except cloud droplets)
  * /"ambient/_/aerosol_particles" /are/aerosol particle/s /that ha/ve/ taken up
    ambient water through hygroscopic growth. The extent of hygroscopic growth
    depends on the relative humidity and the composition of the aerosol particles./
  * ///"/d/ry/_/aerosol_particles" mean the aerosol particles without any water
    uptake./
  * //"//dried_aerosol_particles/" mean the aerosol particles where some drying
    has been applied with respect to the ambient state, but which not
    necessarily reached the dry state///(requires co-ordinate variable
    "relative_humidity")

I fully agree with using "elemental_carbon" instead of "black_carbon". For your
use in modelling aerosol air quality effects, this makes lots of sense since
virtually all respective emission inventories are based on measurements of
elemental carbon. I would just not base the definition on Shah and Rau (1990).
This publication represents the time when terminology confusion around
black/elemental carbon was complete. I would rather propose to use this
definition by Petzold et al. (2013) that tries to establish borders between the
different black carbon properties, and thus avoids ambiguities:

Elemental carbon (EC): carbonaceous fraction of particulate matter that is
thermally stable in an inert atmosphere to high temperatures near 4000K and can
only be gasified by oxidation starting at temperatures above 340 C. It is
assumed to be inert and nonvolatile under atmospheric conditions and insoluble
in any solvent (Ogren and Charlson, 1983).

Best regards,
Markus

--
Dr. Markus Fiebig
Senior Scientist
e-mail: Markus.Fiebig at nilu.no
skype: markus.fiebig
P Please consider the environment before printing this email and attachments