⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 10:16:15 -0400

Hi.

The contents of the grid_mapping variable are doing as much mapping when specifying a projected coordinate system as they are when specifying a geographic (i.e., lon/lat) coordinate system. It is telling you how to understand the spatial coordinate information, particularly in relation to any other choice of coordinate system. It has an unfortunate name, in that it leads us to think about it as ?the thing that tells me how I got from my X & Y coordinate variables to my lon & lat grids?. When you have both X/Y coordinates and lon/lat auxiliary coordinates, the grid_mapping variable is actually telling you how to understand both. There is really no such thing as a ?null mapping?.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Visit us on
Facebook Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC
North Carolina State University
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org