⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to handle a forecast model with non-monotonic coordinate variables

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 22:00:30 +0000

Dear Rich et al.

> In the very last comment in ticket #85
> (https://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/85) you say:
>
> We could modify this to:
> "Allowed for auxiliary coordinate variables but not allowed for
> coordinate variables. Missing data is only permitted in auxiliary
> coordinate varirables only at points where the data variable(s)
> concerned has missing data."

Yes, we could do that, I agree. Off the top of my head I can't remember a
reason why that would cause a problem in aux coord vars - can anyone?

Please could you remind us why this is needed? I mean, if you have a grid
point with coordinates, it must be geolocated, so why can't you also provide
its aux coordinates even though there is no data at that point?