⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to handle a forecast model with non-monotonic coordinate variables

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 22:01:40 +0000

Dear Jim

> If you don?t mind, I?d appreciate an explanation of why there is any need to constrain auxiliary coordinate variables to conform to the restrictions on coordinate variables. Is it just a matter of history, or is there some significant driver behind it?

That is the reason for my question earlier today about whether anyone can see
a problem with it. I can't remember a specific reason, but maybe someone else
can. For coordinate variables the specific reason is they must be unique and
monotonic and that can't be done with missing data.

I asked to be reminded of the present use-case because I think there should be
a specific reason to *change* the convention, whatever the original reasons
for it.

Cheers

Jonathan