⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for vertical axes with units

From: Heiko Klein <Heiko.Klein>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:30:17 +0100

Dear all,

thanks for your answers. I usually use the standard-name table for
parameters than for the reference-system. I really would like to see the
coordinate-axis standard-names as part of the CF-documentation, since we
have already most of them there (ocean_sigma_coordinate,
projection_x_axis, time). I'm not aware of a FAQ for CF?

I've never seen a file with geometrical height. If I understand Jim
correctly, values are in the order of magnitude 6371km (=earth radius).

Reading the definition of altitude at wikipedia, it seems to be a
equivalent to height_above_reference_ellipsoid. But, as John points out,
the CF standard-name descriptions sayt the geoid is defined to be MSL,
so it's fine for me, unless we want to have different standard_names for
reference-systems than for parameters.

Best regards,

Heiko