⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for vertical axes with units

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:04:25 -0500

Heiko,

All of the heights are measured relative to a surface. I guess the proper type names are orthometric (normal to the geoid), geodetic (normal to the ellipsoid), and geocentric (relative to the ellipsoid, but not normal to it). In my personal on-the-job experience the label ?geometric? was usually equated to geocentric, but it could be equally used of geodetic, since both are geometric in construction.

Distances above the center of the Earth would be in a geocentric coordinate system and are not considered to be heights.

The point to take from all this is that geographic coordinate reference systems (CRSs) are quite complicated, and often under-considered. CF should do a good job of documenting the CRS used, and to be complete, we need to specify:
map projection (if X/Y coordinates are specified)
horizontal datum (specifies the ellipsoid and origin point used for the latitudes and longitudes - may not be valid globally)
vertical datum (specifies the ellipsoid or geoid used for heights - may be different than the horizontal datum!)
height type (if height is reported)

Right now, we don?t have attributes defined for all of these in the grid projection variable. There is a certain amount of redundancy to the above list, since a particular map projection usually implies a particular horizontal datum, and it would be unusual (for example) to report geodetic or geocentric heights if a geoidal vertical datum is used. In addition to all this, there is the case of cartesian coordinate systems such as Earth-Centered Fixed and Earth-Centered Inertial.

So we are dealing with a lack of sufficient vocabulary within CF right now. This has come up in Trac Ticket 107 as well.

Grace and peace,

Jim

Visit us on
Facebook Jim Biard
Research Scholar
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC
North Carolina State University
NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org