⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for vertical axes with units

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 18:25:58 +0000

Dear Heiko

> 1. height above ground
has standard_name of height, as you say

> 2. height above mean sea level
I don't think we have a standard name for this yet, but height_above_sea_level
would be consistent with existing names. For example, there is a stdname of
sea_surface_height_above_sea_level.

> 3. depth below surface
is depth, as you say.

> 4. geometrical height
What does this mean? i.e. height above what reference level?

altitude is height above the geoid. Maybe that is geometrical height?

> And for pressure vertical coordinates: is the correct standard_name
> 'air_pressure'?

Yes.

> Could these eventually be mentioned in the Convention besides the
> standard_names for dimensionless vertical coordinates?

This sounds to me like another possible entry for a FAQ. Would that be a good
idea?