⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for vertical axes with units

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 10:33:33 -0800

resending to the list...

Heiko,

If I understand correctly, then the height above mean sea level can be encoded as either the altitude, which is above the particular reference frame called the geoid [1], or height_above_reference_ellipsoid, which allows specification of a particular reference frame (which could be the geoid, but then you would likely use altitude instead, for simplicity). Since the geoid is so close to the mean sea level, using altitude makes sense for grib's #2, unless you know of a reason some other reference ellipsoid should be specified.

I don't know grib so I don't know how they define terms like 'geometric height' [2], but again using the dumb Wikipedia approach ("Elevation, orgeometric height, is mainly used when referring to points on the Earth's surface, while altitude or geopotential height is used for points above the surface"), it seems surface_altitude could be the right choice for grib's #4.

John

[1] Wikipedia's language is nice: "The geoid is the shape that the surface of the oceans would take under the influence of Earth's gravitation and rotation alone, in the absence of other influences such as winds and tides."
[2] Found http://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/www/WDM/Guides/Guide-binary-2.html, but no clarification of the term 'geometric height' was given there. Are there other references?