⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names linked to melt ponds on sea ice

From: Siri Jodha Khalsa <sjsk>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 11:03:47 -0700

Hi,

My personal opinions (not those of NSIDC):
> In any case, I would like your advice for standardized naming of:
>
> a new area type for melt ponds. Should it be "melt_pond" or "melt_water_pond", or should it specify that this is on top of sea ice "melt_water_pond_at_top_of_sea_ice".
there is some merit to adding "water" in describing the melt ponds you
detect radiometrically from above, as there are also refrozen melt
ponds, and you can even have liquid water below a snow-covered ice layer
covering melt ponds.

But melt pond (you will also see meltpond as one word in the literature)
is widely used to refer to puddled, unfrozen water on sea ice surfaces.
> "melt pond area fraction": area(melt ponds)/(area(melt ponds)+area(ocean water)+area(sea ice)).
The above would agree with the statistics from one of the most
widely-cited inventories of melt ponds
(http://nsidc.org/data/docs/noaa/g02159_ponds/) IF area(sea ice)
EXCLUDES (area(meltponds)
> "melt_pond_at_top_of_sea_ice_area_fraction"?
I find this term confusing
> "melt pond free sea ice area fraction": area(sea ice)/(area(melt ponds)+area(ocean water)+area(sea ice)). "melt_pond_free_sea_ice_area_fraction"?
area(sea ice) excludes sea ice with melt ponds?
> I would need these names for better defining upcoming satellite products of ice concentration and melt pond area fraction.
>

> Thanks in advance for your help,
> Thomas
Sirijodha

--