⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Vertical datums (again)

From: Signell, Richard <rsignell>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 06:47:49 -0500

CF folks,

On a telecon yesterday with a coastal inundation modeling group, one
of the PIs asked me how to handle vertical datums in NetCDF --
specifically where to specify that the model bathymetry and water
levels were were relative to NAVD88. I wasn't sure how to reply.

Was there any resolution to the 2nd half of this question asked back in 2011?
http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2011/054483.html

I looked at the draft 1.7 spec, and the only vertical datum reference
info I found was the ability to specify VERT_DATUM in the new CRS
well-known-text (WKT) section:
http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.7-draft1/ch05s06.html#idp5644304

Is this how we should specify the vertical datum in CF, using VERT_DATUM in WKT?

Thanks,
Rich
--
Dr. Richard P. Signell   (508) 457-2229