⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] vertical coordinates and positive attributes

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 17:45:03 +0000

Dear Steve

I agree that one can encode distances below the surface as negative and it's
often done. My point is that the CF standard name of "depth" is not appropriate
for such values; one should use "height" instead. The choice of which standard
name to use corresponds to the choice in a mathematical derivation that z is
positive upwards or z is positive downwards. The concept of depth doesn't
have an implicit sign convention, but the CF standard name does. CF altitude
means "geometric height above the geoid". This is also a signed quantity,
which can be used for levels both above and below the geoid. There is a CF
standard_name of bedrock_altitude, for instance, which could be of either sign
locally; its sign is not arbitrary.

I think the sign convention is one of many semantic markers which are encoded
together in standard names. The possibility has previously been discussed of
supplementing the standard name table with entries to indicate these semantic
components. That would not be an alternative to the standard_name itself, but
if there are aspects which need to be processed automatically, it would allow
them to be looked up. However, it would obviously take some work to go through
the standard_name table and decide for each one if positive was up, down or
irrelevant.