⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CF upgrade to netCDF variable names

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:57:14 -0800

Hi John,

Philosophically I am aligned with Bryan: the purpose of the CF standard
is to constrain (simplify and make predictable) the use of a highly
general file creation toolkit like netCDF. The question of limitations
placed on name strings should be evaluated on this yard stick.

There is a class of problems that are created by embedding special
syntax characters willy-nilly into name strings. Namely, that the use
of such characters can render mathematical expressions ambiguous.
Here's a simple example. Suppose a file contains 3 surface marine
variables -- lets say atmospheric CO2, ocean CO2 and an artfully
computed delta across the surface. Further say that the file creator
chooses to name the delta variable using a "-", as in
     atmosCO2
     waterCO2
         and
// atmosCO2-waterCO2

Then the meaning of the mathematical expression "atmosCO2-waterCO2" has
been rendered ambiguous. Is it a single variable name, or the
difference of two? One is forced to use arbitrary tricks that are
alien to the scientific users we are trying to serve -- say
disambiguating the expression by insisting on surrounding quotes,
"atmosCO2"-"waterCO2", white space, "atmosCO2 - waterCO2". (Would any
scientist read "atmosCO2 - waterCO2" and "atmosCO2-waterCO2" to have
distinct meanings?)

As you say we have already headed down this (slippery) slope. Characters
like "+", "-", "." and case-sensitivity have leaked through into fairly
common practice. For better or worse. :-( (Should the publishers of
science textbooks start using case-sensitive variable names?) So the
question that you've posed is in a sense, /now that the horse is out of
the barn, is there any merit to keeping the other animals penned?/
Like Brian, I would argue that the way to answer this is to insist that
at least there be significant gains from letting them out.

Another unintended negative consequence: the impact on free text
searches when our variable names include special syntax characters.
Are our metadata procedures on an arc so promising that we have no need
to rely on general Google-style tools for discovery?

   - Steve