⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names: day, night, and day/night terminator area_fractions

From: Randy Horne <rhorne>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 12:35:52 -0500

Jonathan:

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Some of the algorithms that generate our level 2 products using hyper spectral observation data are sensitive to the solar zenith angle. For these products, variables capturing the percentage of the product image in day, night, and twilight (i.e. terminator region) are included in the product.

Your counter-proposal to have a single standard name of area_fraction_of_solar_zenith_angle is fine. This form could be useful for area fractions of other angles, such as platform zenith angle.

As far as a definition goes, how about:

fraction of horizontal area resulting from the projection of the solar zenith angle. A
coordinate variable of solar_zenith_angle with boundaries indicating the
angular extent must be specified.

very respectfully,

randy