⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names: day, night, and day/night terminator area_fractions

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:53:22 +0000

Dear Randy

Thanks for this proposal. If I understand it correctly, you divide time (and
hence area) into day, night and something intermediate (twilight, I suppose).
Since you have to define these three in terms of solar zenith angle, maybe it
would be simpler to have just one standard_name. Looking at the guidelines, I
think this quantity could reasonably be called
  probability_distribution_of_solar_zenith_angle
with a coordinate of solar_zenith_angle as you say, but perhaps "probability"
doesn't convey the right impression in this case. It could be called
  area_fraction_as_a_function_of_solar_zenith_angle
We haven't used the phrase as_a_function_of before, although it's a common
phrase, so I'm wondering if there is something we have used before that would
convey the same meaning. Perhaps simply
  area_fraction_of_solar_zenith_angle
would work?