⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names: day, night, and day/night terminator area_fractions

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 19:53:17 +0000

Dear Randy

> a single standard name of area_fraction_of_solar_zenith_angle is fine. This form could be useful for area fractions of other angles, such as platform zenith angle.

Yes, true. If you're happy with it, then fine.

> As far as a definition goes, how about:

> fraction of horizontal area resulting from the projection of the solar zenith angle. A
> coordinate variable of solar_zenith_angle with boundaries indicating the
> angular extent must be specified.

The first sentence is not clear to me. Does it mean, "The fraction of the
horizontal area where the solar zenith angle is within a specified range"?

An advantage of this more general quantity is that you could contain day,
night, twilight and any other such fraction in a single data variable, if
you wanted to, by having a dimension of size more than one for the solar
zenith angle.