⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sediment trap data

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 23:35:07 +0000

Dear Roy

> iron to total_iron (defined as all oxidation states)
> silica to total_silica (defined as biogenic + lithogenic)
> manganese to total_manganese (defined as all oxidation states)

I have reservations about that, because I think the word "total" is not self-
explanatory. You have to know what it's being contrasted with - as you can see
from the above, where it doesn't have a consistent meaning. I think that either
it has to be spelled out what is being included, or it's assumed by default
that *everything* is included by an unqualified species, and instead you add
extra words to be more specific.