⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard names for sediment trap data

From: Matthias Lankhorst <mlankhorst>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 12:24:23 -0800

Hi,

I would like to bring this discussion about new standard names for sediment
trap data to a conclusion. I think what we learned from the discussion was
that:

- we should keep "sinking" in there, rather than "downward"
- we should not include "sediment_trap" wording in the names
- uncertainty remains wrt wording of silicon, silica, ...
- uncertainty remains wrt including isotope ratio information

As far as I can tell, the following are not subject to the above
uncertainties. Are there any objections to declaring victory and accepting
these into the official names list:

sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_matter_in_sea_water
sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_organic_matter_in_sea_water

sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_organic_carbon_in_sea_water
sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_inorganic_carbon_in_sea_water
sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_carbon_in_sea_water

sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_organic_nitrogen_in_sea_water
sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_inorganic_nitrogen_in_sea_water
sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_nitrogen_in_sea_water

Uncertainties still need to be resolved before proceeding with my other
suggestions below (and possible amendments thereof):

sinking_mass_flux_of_particulate_XXX_in_sea_water, where XXX is:
 - aluminum
 - iron
 - phosphorous
 - silica