⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for New Standard Names: clear_area_fraction, probably_clear_area_fraction, probably_cloudy_area_fraction

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 17:03:09 +0000

Dear Gary

There are many existing standard names which use the phrase clear_sky for
a cloud-free area; to be consistent I would suggest clear_sky_area_fraction.
This is presumably 1-cloud_area_fraction.

I've got a couple of comments on "probably" names. Firstly, the definition of
"probably" is rather specific to the application, and it is not obvious to me
that this is a concept which would be comparable among datasets (which is the
main purpose of CF standard names). Secondly, it seems from the definition
that these are actually estimates, by a particular technique, of the clear-
sky and cloud area fractions. If so, they aren't distinct geophysical
quantities, so they shouldn't have their own standard names. The method of
measurement could instead be indicated by some other attribute, such as the
long_name.

----- Forwarded message from Gary Meehan <gmeehan at aer.com> -----