⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names: fire area, fire, temperature, fire

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 19:54:35 +0000

Hi Charlie,

    this could be a future extension. Right now, I believe that most products will not make this distinction - hence we need names for these. A natural extension would then be the "due_to" construct:
"fire_area_due_to_smoldering_fires". However, these names should only be proposed when someone really needs them.

Cheers,

Martin

> Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 15:29:55 -0800
> From: Charlie Zender <zender at uci.edu>
> To: cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
> Subject: Re: [CF-metadata] new standard names: fire area, fire,
> temperature, fire radiative power
>
> My qualm about these names
>
> Standard Name: fire_area
> Standard_Name: fire_temperature
> Standard_Name: fire_radiative_power
>
> is there potential ambiguity as to fire type.
> Researchers now separately detect and/or estimate
> both "active" and "smouldering" fires.
> Is it worth breaking-out your names by fire type?
>
> cz
> --

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich