⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Proposal for New Standard Names: clear_area_fraction, probably_clear_area_fraction, probably_cloudy_area_fraction

From: Gary Meehan <gmeehan>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:14:41 -0500

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for your input to resolve these proposed standard names. I
agree with you that only one
of the proposals is appropriate for consideration as a standard name.
> There are many existing standard names which use the phrase clear_sky for
> a cloud-free area; to be consistent I would suggest clear_sky_area_fraction.
> This is presumably 1-cloud_area_fraction.
As a follow up, then, we would like to propose the standard name,
clear_sky_area_fraction, the definition
for which would be:

"X_area_fraction" means the fraction of horizontal area occupied by X.
"X_area" means the horizontal area occupied by X within the grid cell.
The clear_sky area fraction is for the whole atmosphere column, as seen
from the surface or the top of the atmosphere.

Sincerely,

Gary

--
Gary Meehan