⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Standardizing how ensemble (realization) axes are encoded

From: Steve Hankin <steven.c.hankin>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:15:01 -0800

On 11/15/2013 10:30 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Steve et al.
>
>> I support the idea that the term "ensemble" be allowed (by whatever
>> machinery) as an alias for "realization".
> It'd be fine to have an standard_name alias, I agree, but I think it should be
> "ensemble_member", not "ensemble". The ensemble is the collection of members
> (aka realizations).

It feels a bit backwards, doesn't it? By this logic shouldn't the
standard_name "time" be "snapshot" instead -- named for its individual
members, rather than for its collective?

"time" "depth", "longitude" and "latitude" axes all represent the
collection of many individual points. By analogy an "ensemble" axis
would be the collective of many individual members. It's true that, the
choice of "realization" as a standard_name took the opposite outlook.
hmmm ... Are we better off to maintain consistency with CF's well known
geo-spatial axis standard_names? or consistency with "realization"?

     - Steve