⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] request #1 for names: mole concentrations and mass fractions, similar to current names

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 17:04:00 +0100

Hi John,

I must admit that I haven't systematically gone through the oceanographic Standard Names definitions looking for quality or consistency. Your e-mail caught my eye and so got comments!

hydrated silica (opal) is the most 'natural' description to me based on my time as a hands-on oceanographic data manager (1988-2001) - I don't think I've ever described SiO2 as silicon dioxide.

Now BATS was on my watch - I chaired the JGOFS DMTT through the 90s and it now looks like what you're describing is a million miles from my initial guess. The standard JGOFS protocol for sediment trappers was to measure the mass of particles trapped in a known time by a trap of known area. This gave the mass flux. A split sample was then acidified (usually fumed by conc HCl) and stuck into an elemental analyser like a Carlo Erba which gave the proportion of elemental nitrogen and elemental carbon per unit mass of trapped sediment. Multiplying these by the mass flux then gave parameters that were generally referred to as 'PON flux' and 'POC flux': the 'organic' credentials come from a (fairly safe) assumption that all nitrogen in suspended particulate material is organic and the removal of inorganic carbon by the acidification step.

I'm now getting the feeling that 'moles_of_nitrogen_per_unit_mass_in_sea_water' is an attempt to describe the organic nitrogen concentration in a suspended particulate material sample: i.e. the values multiplied with mass flux to give PON flux. Am I right? If I am then you should be looking at something like 'moles_of_nitrogen_per_unit_mass_of_suspended_particulate_matter'. Note that per unit mass of SPM is VERY different to per unit mass of sea water and 'per_unit_mass_in_sea_water' is a statement of the latter.

The other two BATS parameters you quote are:

Nitrate+Nitrite - this is inorganic nitrogen dissolved in sea water in two different oxidation states which is expressed (in the BOFS era) as the number of moles of nitrogen in a given volume of sea water. These days the preference is to give the number of moles per unit mass of sea water.

PON - this is the amount of particulate nitrogen in a given volume or mass of sea water. It is computed by measuring the amount of nitrogen per unit mass of particulate material and multiplying the result by the mass of particulate material (SPM) per unit volume or mass of sea water.

As to my organic carbon suggestion, it was simply a reaction prompted when I read your text to improve things by injecting some of my oceanographic domain expertise. I don't know the extent of the CF list readership, but I suspect I'm one of very few who have done any hands-on biogeographical measurement or data management (which to me involves gaining the same level of understanding of the measurement made as the scientist who made them).

Cheers, Roy.