⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Towards recognizing and exploiting hierarchical groups (Charlie Zender - Steve Hankin - Richard Signell)

From: Charlie Zender <zender>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:40:23 -0700

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your latest 3 posts.
They all make the point that hierarchical files
are widely used now. In this post you make the point that maybe
having conventions on how to use/interpret hierarchies would
be helpful, regardless of its desirability for CF.

Yes, part of our motivation is better conventions for hierarchies
independent of CF.

_And_ I do think there are
use cases ("ensemble", anyone?) that are desirable for CF
(which operates by consensus so let the users decide)
that could most effectively and concisely be implemented
with hierarchical files that utilize group-metadata inheritance.

So I posted the use-case for this to CF in case it wishes
by acclamation to help set such conventions. CR is an
important de facto standard with a track record of improving
dataset interoperability. Whether it wishes to weigh-in on
hierarchical "group-aware" structures remains to be seen.

cz

Le 18/09/2013 09:45, Roy Mendelssohn - NOAA Federal a ?crit :

--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(