⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Surface temperatures

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:56:52 +0100

Dear all

I agree with Karl than in CF standard names "land" means "non-sea", whereas
sea-ice is part of sea. Hence I would support adding land_surface_skin_
temperature, for use by applications which classify locations as land or sea.

However I also agree with Evan that one can approach this more generally,
and therefore I would also support the addition of surface_skin_temperature,
with which an area-type could be specified, if anyone wants to follow that
approach (we only add names when they are needed).

The quotations that Evan made show that we need to change the definitions
where they mention "skin". This is because in these new names "skin" is being
given a more precise and practical meaning, motivated by observational methods,
whereas the surface_temperature names were introduced for models, in which
the skin can be a notional and infinitesimally thin layer.