⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Surface temperatures

From: Jonathan Wrotny <jwrotny>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:26:27 -0400

Dear Jonathan Gregory,

I am getting back to this reply after a long time - sorry, I was pulled
in a few different directions lately. Hopefully, it is possible to
bring back to life a submission that I had made for the
land_surface_skin_temperature.

Revisiting my previous proposal and a few e-mails by Karl Taylor and
Evan Manning, I have made some modifications to the definition of this
standard name so that I can incorporate some suggestions by Karl and
Evan. Here is my current proposal:

Standard Name:land_surface_skin_temperature

Definition:The land surface skin temperature is the temperature of a
land point or the land portion of a region as inferred from infrared
radiation emitted directly towards space through the atmosphere. Not all
of the emitted surface radiation originates at the soil.Some may come
from various terrestrial features (e.g., vegetation, rivers, lakes, ice,
snow cover, man-made objects).Thus, the land surface skin temperature is
the aggregate temperature of an effective layer which includes the soil
and terrestrial features at the surface (if they occur).In models, the
radiating temperature of the surface is usually the
"surface_temperature", which then can be taken to be equivalent to
land_surface_skin_temperature or sea_surface_skin temperature, depending
on the underlying medium.

Canonical Units:K

Thanks for still considering this proposal. Sincerely,

Jonathan Wrotny