⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names: fire area, fire temperature, fire radiative power

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 09:51:34 +0100

Dear Jonathan

> Also note that "fire" in each
> name refers to all kinds of fires (e.g. grassland, forest, etc.). I
> didn't specifically state this in the definition but could if people
> feel that it would help to clarify.

Yes, I think it would help. Does it include anthropogenic combustion e.g. gas
flares, fires in buildings (if big enough)? Does it include volcanoes (which
are not combustion, but they are hot so I suppose they radiate like fires)?
I suspect that some definition of fire occurrence is needed, so that one can
be sure exactly what area is encompassed.

> Standard Name: fire_area
>
> Canonical Units:m^2

OK - that's like sea_ice_area, provided the area of the fire can be defined
clearly.

> Standard Name: fire_temperature
>
> Definition:The fire_temperature is the temperature of a fire area
> (standard name: fire_area).

This seems a bit vague to me. I guess there may be a range of temperatures in
an area affected by fire, depending on location and level. Does the method of
measurement suggest a more precise definition?

> Standard Name: fire_radiative_power
>
> Definition:The radiative power emitted from a fire area (standard
> name: fire_area). The fire radiative power is defined as the product
> of the blackbody irradiance of a fire and the corresponding fire
> area.
>
> Canonical Units:W

I think that's OK. Do you also have a need for a quantity in W m-2?