⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: Evan Manning <Evan.M.Manning>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:00:06 -0700

Jim,

We're only half disagreeing. When there is a lake (or ice/snow?) on top of
the land, you are talking about the radiative surface at the bottom of the
atmosphere, not the top of the dirt. If I understand correctly, you only
make a special case for designated oceans.

So a more precise name might be "nonsea_surface_skin_temperature".

Then if we have 50/50 land & lake with T=310 and 290:
  nonsea_surface_skin_temperature=300
  sea_surface_skin_temperature=(fill value)
But 50/50 land & sea with T=310 and 290:
  nonsea_surface_skin_temperature=310
  sea_surface_skin_temperature=290

Ice on land would presumably be counted as land but sea ice could still be
counted as either land or sea with this terminology.

so if we have 4 equal portions
  1/4 non-ice-covered non-sea (land/lake/vegetation/whatever) T=290
  1/4 ice-covered non-sea T=270
  1/4 non ice-covered sea T=280
  1/4 ice-covered sea T=260

Then either we count sea ice as sea:
  nonsea_surface_skin_temperature=280 (men of 270 and 290)
  sea_surface_skin_temperature=270 (mean of 260 and 280)
Or sea ice is not sea:
  nonsea_surface_skin_temperature=273.3 (men of 260, 270 and 290)
  sea_surface_skin_temperature=280

  -- Evan