⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: Evan Manning <Evan.M.Manning>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:19:28 -0700

"Land surface skin temperature" and "sea surface skin temperature" are
commonly used for MODIS/VIIRS, "surface skin temperature" is commonly used
for AIRS.

I think MODIS/VIIRS have separate groups of people handling "land" and
"sea". "Land" is the domain of the the land science group and "sea" is the
domain of the sea science group. But for CF we want to make geophysical
distinctions, and land/sea is not a clear red line. Problem areas include
inland water, tidal river mouths, and frozen surfaces.

If we provide a "surface skin temperature" with the option to use an
additional dimension for surface types, then this supports the AIRS
approach with no additional dimension; it supports the MODIS approach with
an additional dimension of size 2 (land/sea); it also supports others who
might want to break out frozen surfaces or group all liquid water in a
single category.

  -- Evan

Yes, this is also the case for the future GOES-R data product that is