⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard name: land_surface_skin_temperature

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:22:39 -0700

Dear all,

I think the common meaning of "land" in climate models and in climate
observations distinguishes "terrestrial" regions from "marine" regions.
Thus, we have terrestrial plants, terrestrial water storage, terrestrial
water fluxes, terrestrial glaciers (which seems a bit redundant), etc.,
and all of these comprise the "land" surface. Thus, in CF, I think
"land" should include all it's components: vegetation, lakes, puddles,
snow, glacial ice, etc. Sea ice, on the other hand, belongs to the
marine environment and should be considered "sea".

The above division fits nicely into how most models treat these two very
different regions. Usually sea ice is part of the ocean model (or
closely coupled to it, since the ocean can move sea ice around), and the
"land model" can include all the land components, from vegetation to snow.

I therefore think we should avoid terms as "nonsea", as that would be
identical to "land".

I agree that there seems to be a consensus that we adopt a new standard
name -- land_surface_skin_temperature .

To help users understand that it is likely to be a measure of the same
thing as "surface_temperature", at least in models, I would modify the
proposed definition along the following lines:

Definition: The land surface skin temperature is the temperature of a
land point or the land portion of a region as inferred from infrared
radiation emitted directly from the surface to space, without being
absorbed by the atmosphere. Not all of the emitted surface radiation
originates at the soil. Some comes from various terrestrial features
(e.g., vegetation, rivers, lakes, ice, snow cover). In models the
radiating temperature of the surface is usually the
"surface_temperature", which then can be taken to be equivalent to
land_surface_skin_temperature or ocean_surface_skin temperature,
depending on the underlying medium.

I would also add this last sentence to the definition of
"sea_surface_skin_temperature".

Best regards,
Karl